Director of Operations, Events
Who We Are:
Charm City Run is a running and walking specialty company consisting of 8 retail locations and an events and training division. Founded in 2002, our mission is to inspire and move the human spirit one sole at a time. We believe that running and walking change lives and communities, and that the world is a better place when we’re active together. We create opportunities for individuals to challenge themselves, set new goals, make new friends, dream BIG, be inspired, and inspire others.
Charm City Run Events produces over 50 endurance sporting events per year. Over 50,000 runners and walkers cross a Charm City Run finish line every year. Charm City Run Training prepares over 2,200 people per year for events from a 5K through an ultra-marathon. The Live. Give. Run. Foundation has donated over two million dollars in 21 years and Charm City Run Events helps local non-profits raise over $500,000 a year for their respective causes.
The Director of Operations is responsible for Charm City Run Events’ onsite activation at signature (CCR-owned) and managed events, organizing and maintaining all Charm City Run Events equipment, and coordinating the transportation of equipment to and from events. This individual will also coordinate the ordering, budgeting, placement, and delivery of rental equipment, and create/update comprehensive operations guides critical to the successful execution of events. This position is based in Cockeysville, MD and is not eligible for remote work.
- Oversee the acquisition of all necessary permits (in coordination with the Events Manager) for upcoming events, and provide event timelines, public safety plans, event design, and parking plans required.
- Prepare all pertinent documents and maps of areas of responsibility for permit submission to all government entities, private parties, and contractors.
- Establish and maintain excellent working relationships with third parties, public agencies, municipalities, and State and Federal governments to produce the highest level events.
- Create vision and gameplan with the Events team to ensure events operate efficiently and live up to the highest brand standard.
- Develop processes that contribute to the financial goals of the organization and manage established event budgets.
- Communicate with Director of Events to identify outstanding action items needed to produce the event, and ensure the successful execution of said items.
- Manage event course, and lead a team to deploy on-course materials and personnel on race-day, including but not limited to course signage & markings, water stations, and course marshals.
- Ensure all necessary equipment is transported to and from races, and manage the loading and unloading procedure for all events.
- Manage request for proposal (RFP) process including selection of the highest quality vendors, financial analysis and negotiations in coordination with the Events Director. Make qualified recommendations to Events Director and ensure the timely execution of all vendor responsibilities.
- Manage and organize all CCR equipment and vehicles, to include maintenance, and replacement as needed, and ensure all equipment is in good working order.
- Manage race service providers, pre-, during and post-event.
- Uphold Charm City Run’s moral and ethical standards within the workplace and community-at-large.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Passion for running and the power of endurance sports to change lives and bring people together
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in a related role within the endurance sports industry
- Ability to work weekends, and budget time during the year to ensure work/life balance
- Must be comfortable driving commercial fleet vehicles such as pickup trucks, transit vans, box trucks, etc.
- Ability to work under pressure and within tight timelines while maintaining professionalism and a positive attitude
- Strong attention to detail and a high degree of organization.
- Previous experience building and leading a team while demonstrating effective communication and collaboration skills.
- Ability to lift heavy weights (up to 50 pounds).
- Starting salary range of $75,000 to $90,000 a year commensurate with experience, plus bonus opportunities tied to the performance of job duties outlined in the job description.
- Healthcare – Charm City Run Events will pay 75% of your individual premium and the first $5,000 in expenses towards your deductible.
- 401k eligibility after 6 months of service, with company match up to 4%
- Flexible PTO policy
- 40% discount in Charm City Run retail stores
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to Will Murdoch, Director of Events at email@example.com.