CHARM CITY RUN WORKPLACE DISCRIMINATION AND HARASSMENT POLICY
Charm City Run is committed to the maintenance of a work environment free from all forms of discrimination and workplace harassment. We believe that unlawful discrimination and harassment, either intentional or unintentional, have no place in the work environment. Accordingly, it has been, and shall continue to be, Charm City Run’s policy that its employees and their work environment shall be free from all forms of unlawful discriminatory practices and harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability, military status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, or any other protected status under applicable local, state, or federal law, whether the discrimination or harassment is caused by another employee, a manager or other person.
Unlawful harassment can include, but is not limited to, slurs, threats, derogatory comments and unwelcome jokes that would make a reasonable person experiencing such harassment uncomfortable in the work environment or that would interfere with the person’s job performance. Additionally, unlawful harassment can include, but is not limited to, verbal and physical conduct of a sexual nature by any employee, manager, customer, or other person, including sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, making gestures, or other conduct such as uninvited touching and sexually-related comments, jokes or innuendo that tend to create an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment. It also includes posting or displaying pictures, posters, graffiti, objects, Facebook or other social networking posts, Internet or phone camera images, texts, emails or material that includes offensive content.
Unlawful harassment does not refer to occasional compliments of a socially acceptable nature. If you are uncertain whether a behavior is acceptable, consider whether the action reflects a basic consideration and respect for the other person’s feelings, or whether you would appreciate the same action or words directed at a member of your family. In general, if there is any question or uncertainty about the acceptability of an action or behavior, then it should probably be avoided.
All employees are responsible for ensuring that the workplace is free from unlawful harassment, and accordingly, must avoid any action or conduct which could be viewed as unlawful harassment.
If you believe you are being subjected to unlawful harassment or discrimination by a co-worker, manager, customer, or other individual, you should report such incidents verbally or in writing to any of the following individuals:
Your store manager;
A General Manager; or
Charm City Run assumes that anyone bringing a harassment complaint does so in good faith. Once a complaint is brought to the attention of management, it will be thoroughly investigated by Charm City Run. As much as possible, confidentiality will be maintained, and only those persons who need to know about such a complaint will be advised of its existence. Those persons who are interviewed as part of the investigation process will be asked to keep the information confidential.
Charm City Run will not tolerate any retaliation against an employee for making a good faith harassment or discrimination complaint or for cooperating in a harassment or discrimination investigation.
Charm City Run will take disciplinary action against employees who violate Charm City Run’s workplace harassment policy. Employees who violate the policy will be subject to such actions as oral or written reprimand, professional counseling, reassignment, demotion, suspension or termination.
Charm City Run Social Media Policy
The following guidelines apply to employee use of “electronic social media,” regardless of where the sites are accessed or what device is used to access them. For the purposes of this policy, “electronic social media” includes, but is not limited to, personal web pages, blogs, message boards, and social networking sites. Examples of electronic social media include Facebook, Instagram, Google+, Flickr, Twitter, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Pinterest, You Tube, and Web blogs. Social media is constantly evolving, so the fact that something is not included in this list does not mean that it is not covered by this policy.
- Employees should limit the use of social networking media while at work, and access social networking websites, if at all, only during non-working time.
- All Charm City Run policies (including harassment, discrimination, and workplace violence) apply to employee use of electronic social media.
- Supervisors should refrain from “friending,” “following,” or otherwise affiliating with employees under their supervision.
- Employees may not use social media to disclose private, confidential, financial, or proprietary information that belongs to Charm City Run, its employees, vendors, or customers. Sharing such information without proper consent can cause serious damage to persons and businesses, and can result in legal action and penalties against persons who improperly disclose the information. However, employees do have the right to use social media to share information about certain terms and conditions of employment.
- If posting photos, videos, or recordings that contain any images or information about the workplace, make sure there is no confidential information visible in the posting. This includes customer data, computer screens, pricing information, and similar information. Employees should never post pictures, videos, or recordings of customers taken during the course of their employment on the employee’s personal social media sites.
- Employees may not create the impression that they are speaking on behalf of Charm City Run when using electronic social media, unless they have been specifically authorized to do so. If you are not sure, provide a clear statement as part of your profile, post, or website that the views expressed do not necessarily represent the views of Charm City Run.
- Charm City Run’s logo may not be used without written consent from your store manager, a General Manager, or Josh Levinson.
- Be respectful of Charm City Run, its employees, customers, and associated organizations. Do not make comments intended to harm Charm City Run’s business relationships or to injure Charm City Run’s employees.
- Do not conduct Charm City Run business on social networking sites unless specifically authorized to do so (i.e, networking with customers through LinkedIn).
- Employees have no expectation of privacy when using electronic social media through Charm City Run’s computers, servers, or other technology. Charm City Run reserves the right to monitor use of electronic social media on its equipment.
- Electronic social media activities must not interfere with employee job performance.
- Employees are personally responsible and personally liable for their social media posts. As a result, it is their responsibility to be aware of applicable laws, including, but not limited to, laws regarding defamation, harassment, retaliation, obscenity, trade secrets, copyright and invasion of privacy. Charm City Run is not responsible or liable for any losses or damages caused by employee postings.
- Questions about appropriate activity should be raised with manager.
- Failure to follow this policy will result in discipline, up to and including the termination of employment.
Rules of Conduct
Although we try to maintain a relaxed atmosphere at our stores, there are some rules we need all of our staff members to follow. The following behaviors are not acceptable, and can lead to discipline, up to and including termination of employment:
- Violation of our Workplace Discrimination and Harassment Policy
- Violation of our Social Media Policy
- Working under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs
- Possessing, distributing, selling, delivering, or using alcohol or illegal drugs at work
- Fighting or threatening violence in the workplace
- Possessing dangerous weapons in the workplace
- Excessive absenteeism or any absence without notice
- Excessive use of your cell phone while working
- Excessive personal telephone calls
- Failing to report an accident, injury or dangerous situation
- Theft (of store merchandise, customer property, or co-worker property)
- Excessive cash handling violations
This list is not meant to be exclusive, and it does not mean that misconduct not on this list is acceptable. However, we do believe it is especially important that our staff members avoid these infractions.
Sales Associate Responsibilities
- Complete all transactions
- Handle exchanges for store credit
- Check customer history
- Ability to get store manager when appropriate to handle more difficult transactions.
- Fitting & Gait Analysis
- Ability to fit customers and provide excellent customer service
- Knowledge of shoes types and ability to communicate knowledge with customers.
- Use treadmill/camera when appropriate
- Daily Store Responsibilities
- Re-stocking the merchandise on store floor
- Apparel- straightening, checking size order, and proper pricing on sale units.
- Organizing back stock areas
- Checking footwear for proper placement and organization in back stock.
- Maintaining a complete and neat shoe wall.
- Cleaning- Counters, bathrooms, etc
- When you come in ask what needs to be done and attack the list.
- Opening & Closing Procedures
- Completing all opening procedures as described on check list
- Completing daily tasks assigned by assistant manager or manager
- Completing all closing procedures on check list
Scheduling of Work Hours
Managers are responsible for the schedule. Staff members are responsible for finding someone to cover their shift if they need a sub. Sending personal emails or asking a potential sub in person works best. It is the staff person’s responsibility to cover the shift or work. Staff members should arrive 15 minutes before their schedule shift. Being late to work is unacceptable.
Personal Appearance and Attire
We are very causal at Charm City Run, however it is important to look presentable. Jeans, shorts, running attire, t-shirts, sweatshirts are all acceptable to wear as long as you look neat. I know we all want to look cool, but the following three things are not cool.
- Flip Flops
- Midriff showing
- Pants that are too low…wear a belt!
Cell Phones/Internet Use/Gum Chewing
- Cell phones must be on silent while working and should not be used.
- If you need to make a call ask and then go outside
- Family may call the store number to reach you
- No personal internet use
- No Gum
- If you leave check out. No exceptions unless authorized by your manage.
Staff members are eligible for a 25% discount on all regularly priced items in the store. You also have the ability to apply loyalty points to purchases when your $250 threshold is met. In case of sale items, employees may purchase items at the sale price or the appropriate employee discount. All employee sales should be rung up by either a manager or another employee. Employees should never ring up their own sale. Employee discounts are to be used for employee purchases only and purchasing of gifts. Discount is not to be used to purchase items for friends. Twice a year employees will be offered a more aggressive discount. These events are one night only events without exception and occur in conjunction with educated run clinics.
Pay periods begin on Monday morning and end on Sunday night. Pay days are every other Friday and represent hours worked the previous two week period ending on Sunday. There are 26 pay periods per year. All staff members are expected to Check in/out every day. It is their responsibility to remember to check in/out. Employees are not allowed to edit clock in/out time. Contact a manager if check in/out needs to be edited. All employees need to be on direct deposit to ensure timely payment. Charm City Run employees who work more than 1,000 hours in the previous year are eligible for the Charm City Run 401k plan. Charm City Run employees that work an average of 30 hours per week or more are eligible to purchase health insurance through Charm City Run.
Charm City Run Events and Staff Meetings
We ask that every employee attends four Charm City Run Events (races) each year. You can volunteer, run, or simply cheer on participants. We think it is important to support the events team and be present in the community. Please let your store lead know what races you attend during the year. Each store has staff meetings throughout the year. These staff meetings are mandatory and all staff are required to attend 4 staff meetings each year. In addition there is one all staff meeting held in the winter. Attendance is mandatory. There is also one all-staff party each year. You are not required to attend, but it would be great to see you and your family.
3Point5 – Brooks & Saucony
All employees need to set up a 3point5 account by going to www.3point5.com . Ask your store lead if you need help setting up an account. All new employees need to complete Brooks and Saucony module through 3point5. This should be done while working and completed within your first month at Charm City Run.